03 April 2016

What I've Been Listening To

It's unfortunate, but now that I have full-time employment again (after an interlude of six months), posting on this blog has slowed down.  Hopefully once the current burst of real-life work ends (in a month or two), I'll be able to put down more thoughts here.  I've been reading bits and pieces of various books: Weber's Economy and Society, Levi-Strauss's The Savage Mind, a collection of texts by Hayao Miyazaki, etc.  Something is likely to come from all this.

Meanwhile, I'd like to put down a few links to things I've been listening to lately.  I hope you enjoy.

Also, while I'm here I shouldn't fail to advertise that First Things is putting on a Great Books-style intellectual retreat on the topic of happiness this May in Los Angeles. (Much of my current work has been preparing for this retreat.) If you have the resources to put down $600 to attend (not including hotel or transportation), I highly recommend it.  The magazine has assembled a range of very good people, and it should be a great experience for everyone who goes.  More info and registration here.

Now to the music.

1.  Watage Warabe, by Takagi Masakatsu, from the soundtrack to the documentary Kingdom of Dreams and Mandess.  This entire soundtrack is great.


2.  Malka Moma Dvori Mete, a choral setting of a Bulgarian folk song, performed by the Philip Koutev National Folk Ensemble.  I discovered this through the Isao Takahata film Only Yesterday, which is incredible.  The film uses several tracks from this album.



3.  Kaze wo Atsumete, by Happy End, from their 1971 album Kazemachi Roman.  This song is featured in the film Lost in Translation.


5.  Project Falcon, by Joe Hisaishi, from the soundtrack to Hayao Miyazaki's The Wind Rises (also an incredible film).  Here's a link to the track (and the whole album), courtesy of my friend Mario.