Wednesday, August 3, 2011

SEVENTY-FOURTH

A. I attended Borders' wake today and got 20% off a copy of Richard Evans' The Coming of the Third Reich, which I have now begun to read. For the record I have not yet finished The Third Reich at War, but I like Evans' style, so I figured I'd start over from the beginning.

B. Meanwhile, neither have I finished Book Two of Aquinas' Summa Contra Gentiles. The intricacies of body-soul unity are rather taxing. I would skip to the morals in Book Three, but I couldn't help but feel guilty about what I missed.

C. This phenomenon, described in B, is to blame for a good many wasted weeks of my life.

D. This is, to remind us all, actually the 73rd entry on this blog, as there was never a 50th. Supposedly every positive integer can be written as the sum of 73 or fewer sixth powers.

E. "Subjecting his flesh to his spirit and his sensitivity to reason, he became one and the same spirit with God [I Cor. 6:17], and completely devoted his attention to seeking Him through the excess of his mind [Ps. 30:23]. Moreover, in the eagerness of his companions, he never departed from love for his neighbor. When he destroyed the pleasures of the flesh and illuminated the stony minds of the impious, the whole sect of the heretics trembled and the whole Church of the faithful rejoiced."

2 comments:

  1. I like the phrase "Borders' wake." Borders was not my favorite bookstore, but I'm sad to see any bookstore go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the big chains were convenient places to browse at the very least, though often I would browse there and buy online. At this point the books I want to buy are normally too obscure for the average bookstore, so online ordering suits me just fine.

    ReplyDelete