15 August 2011

NINETY-FIFTH

McDONOUGH
 I'm telling you -- they want Howard to go on yelling bullshit. They want Howard to go on spontaneously letting out his anger, a latter-day prophet, denouncing the hypocrisies of our times --

 HOWARD
 Hey, that sounds pretty good --

 MAX
 Who's this they?

 McDONOUGH
 Hackett. Chaney was there, the Legal Affairs guy, and that girl from Programming.

 MAX
 Christenson? What's she got to do with it?

 GIANINI (in b.g.)
 You're kidding, aren't you, Bob?

 McDONOUGH
 I'm not kidding. I told them: "We're running a news department down there, not a circus. And Howard Beale isn't a bearded lady. And if you think I'll go along with this bastardization of the news, you can have my resignation along with Max Schumacher's right now. And I think I'm speaking for Howard Beale and everybody else down there in News.

 HOWARD
 Hold it, McDonough, that's my job you're turning down. I'll go nuts without some kind of work. What's wrong with being an angry prophet denouncing the hypocrisies of our times? What do you think, Max?

 MAX
 Do you want to be an angry prophet denouncing the hypocrisies of our times?

 HOWARD
 Yeah, I think I'd like to be an angry prophet denouncing the hypocrisies of our times.

 MAX
 Then grab it.